CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER (CEO) POSITION
The Downtown Billings Alliance (DBA) seeks a full-time Chief Executive Officer (CEO) responsible for management and implementation of programs supporting the growth, promotion and development of downtown Billings as an exceptional, vibrant, diverse urban core in the Northwest Region.
ORGANIZATIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The CEO will establish strategic direction and vision for the Downtown Billings Alliance, comprised of the Downtown Billings Association, Downtown Billings Partnership, Business Improvement District and Community Innovations, Inc., in partnership with the Downtown Billings Alliance Boards of Directors and key stakeholders and in accordance with the organization’s mission. The CEO oversees day-to-day operations, assures fiscal responsibility in the funding and financial management of the organization and protects the assets of the organization. The CEO acts as a liaison to the board of directors, city and county offices and other key stakeholders. The CEO will work to leverage real estate and finance deals, tax increment financing and incentive grants, in collaborative partnership with the DBA Development Director, local and state economic development organizations, government officials, and developers. The CEO will work cooperatively with community and business leaders, residents and all downtown stakeholders to enhance the vitality of downtown Billings.
QUALIFICATIONS: NECESSARY SKILLS AND EXPERTISE
- Proven ability to recognize and pursue opportunities regardless of available resources.
- Intrinsically motivated to develop and implement new ideas.
- Ability to communicate and “sell” new ideas to a diverse stakeholder groups.
- Proven ability to move ideas from concept to implementation.
- Ability to develop and implement downtown visioning plans.
- Knowledge of downtown and community central core development issues to include: community building, neighborhood engagement, transportation oriented development, housing development, and open space/public realm integration.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of urban planning to include: design guidelines, zoning, historic preservation and housing.
- Knowledge of the principles required to create urban “life, activity, and sustainable vitality.”
- Proven ability developing and monitoring local, state and federal legislation, programs and proposals; demonstrated experience assessing potential implications and/or organizational opportunities of same.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate and communicate organizational positions on local, state and federal issues; ability to facilitate personal contacts between executives and internal and external stakeholders with executive members of local and state governments.
- Proven ability to work with internal stakeholders to identify and solicit government funding opportunities. Demonstrated ability to direct the development of successful government proposals.
- Sense of architectural design and aesthetics.
- Experience as a downtown Advocate. Proven track record of marshalling resources and managing complex partnerships to focus on downtown issues, projects and initiatives.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with stakeholders, colleagues, subordinates, Billings officials, officials from other governmental and private organizations, social service agencies, and the general public.
- Must be experienced in organizational development and have demonstrated the ability to win the trust and confidence of diverse stakeholders, constituencies and public and private collaborative organizations.
- The ideal candidate, a urban development professional, will possess a demonstrated record of performance leading change.
- Understanding of issues confronting downtown business and property owners, residents, public agencies and community organizations.
- Ability to work closely and effectively with both public and private sector individuals and organizations including: business owners, developers, residents, investors, government officials and related economic development, promotion and capacity building organizations.
- Proven political skills.
- Strong economic development credentials with both private sector and government real estate and finance.
- Knowledge of and experience in tax increment financing and incentive grants.
- Experience working in collaboration with local and regional economic development organizations.
- Experience in packaging deals with prospective investors, developers and business owners.
- Familiarity with local, state and federal funding resources (tax incentives, etc.) available for “deal making.”
- Knowledge of, and experience in, leading successful downtown development initiatives; knowledge of best practices.
- Expertise in crafting public/private partnerships.
- Strong understanding of urban design principles as they relate to central business district characteristics.
- Ability to manage projects in a manner consistent with their stated objective(s).
- Ability to prepare and make comprehensive presentations.
- History and proven track record of influencing diverse organizational stakeholders with regard to coordinated strategic planning, branding, and unified tactical implementation.
- Experience in private, public and non-profit sector fund raising.
- Ability to develop high-potential relationships with large corporations and other major potential funders/donors.
COMMUNICATION AND PUBLIC RELATIONS
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking.
- Experience selling concepts and generating the excitement necessary to propel successful accomplishments.
- Ability to express ideas effectively orally and in writing.
- Experience serving as the organization’s chief spokesperson.
- Experience developing and implementing an effective, centralized public relations program.
- Knowledge of public information and community relations concepts, principles, methodology and techniques.
- Proven media relations and issues management experience.
- Ability to develop, implement and evaluate public opinion surveys and related data collection vehicles.
- Knowledge of current and emerging public relations issues and trends applicable to the downtown environment.
MARKETING AND SALES
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize, design, implement and evaluate a fully integrated strategic marketing program.
- Able to proactively position the downtown as a premier destination – create and sell the vision.
- Proven experience developing research-based programs that address image and brand awareness in a competitive global market.
- Familiar with the history of Billings and able to articulate the downtown’s vision as a center of commerce, culture and entertainment.
- Ability to coordinate and evaluate the work of a professional staff.
- Ability to supervise, manage and lead both a professional and administrative staff.
- Ability to develop long-term plans and programs and to evaluate work accomplishments.
- Ability to analyze facts, exercise sound judgment and arrive at valid conclusions.
- Ability to plan, direct and coordinate development programs and initiatives.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing.
- Ability to create dynamic, supportive learning and working environment
- Considerable knowledge concerning the principles of public administration and public finance.
- Experience identifying alternative sources of funding.
- Strong understanding of urban real estate development, including finance.
- Strong understanding of municipal finance, public incentive programs and capital investment budgeting.
- Budget preparation, fiscal management and analysis.
- Ability to develop and control operating budgets. Skill in budget preparation and fiscal management.
- Knowledge of financial/ business analysis techniques.
- Ability to work closely and effectively with a board of directors and its executive committee and officers.
- Ability to communicate with the board of directors.
DOWNTOWN MANAGEMENT SERVICES
- Proven knowledge and ability managing downtown clean and safe, public safety, marketing, parking, hospitality, social service outreach, landscaping (beautification) and technology integration.
- Proven experience involving “Way Finding” initiatives and the management of vehicular,
- pedestrian and cyclist traffic in downtown/urban areas.
- Understanding of downtown event, venue and place-making, planning and utilization.
- Proven ability developing and monitoring local, state and federal registration, programs and proposals; demonstrated experience
- assessing potential implications and/or organizational opportunities of same.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate and communicate organizational positions on local, state and federal issues; ability to facilitate personal contacts between executives and internal and external stakeholders with executive members of local government and state government.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with civic leaders, other City officials and the general public.
The candidate should possess the following leadership competencies:
- Managing People and Performance –Manages people to help them achieve full potential and to attain exceptional individual and team performance.
- Leading and Directing – Inspires and leads through clear vision and directions, organizing and enabling resources and making critical decisions.
- Managing and Leveraging Relationships – Invest in relationships to successfully influence and build shared goals and achieve optimal organizational solutions and results.
- Communication and Presenting – Shares ideas and information across diverse audiences and entities to drive organizational performance and effectiveness.
- Strategic Thinking – Attuned to changing dynamics facing the organization; leverages sharp organizational acumen to develop opportunities and strategies for organizational success.
- Analyzing and Deciding/Problem Solving – Makes sound rational decisions by thoroughly analyzing all aspects of a problem or issue.
- Planning and Organizing – Plans and organizes detailed course of action that ensures successful accomplishment of organizational initiatives and objectives.
- Executing for Results – Drives performance through expert management and execution of organizational plans and activities.
- Fostering Innovation and Change – Embraces and promotes innovation and change as a way to enhance personal, team and organizational effectiveness.
- Maintaining Self Awareness and Impact – Maintains objectivity about own self; manages impact of self on others, and actively learns from experience to maximize positive impact.
- Achievement Focus – Strive to reach challenging work and career goals.
- Adapting to Change and Stress – Adapts and responds well to change; manages pressure effectively and copes well with setbacks.
- Upholding Standards – Consistently adheres to and upholds clear professional and ethical standards that complement those of the organization.
Minimum requirements: Bachelor’s degree in public administration, urban planning, business management, planning, real estate, the social sciences, architecture, or related field, and a combination of experience and education demonstrating a minimum of 5 years experience in progressive applications of community development, downtown real estate, public financing, business retention and attraction, land-use and transportation planning, downtown revitalization and/or urban design.
This is a staff position with an anticipated annual salary range DOE. Comprehensive benefits package including health and life insurance, paid leave, and simple retirement account participation.
(NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE)
Downtown Billings Alliance, 2815 2nd Ave. N., Billings, MT 59101
Please submit questions or inquiries and attach a cover letter and current resume to
Please include “CEO/President Position” in the Subject Line
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION IS OCTOBER 30, 2017
DOWNTOWN BILLINGS ALLIANCE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER